Remember the window seat project I talked about a couple of months ago? Well, it took about 3X longer than the estimate from the carpenter, but it’s finally finished!

There was a comedy of errors getting this thing done, and there were a few weeks there that I didn’t think it was going to happen at all–but alas, I type this sitting at my new desk–and I must admit, it was worth the wait. The drawers below the window seat fit almost all of my folded clothes–it’s amazing how many muumuus you can get into a dresser, really. The hamper is spacious and well hidden, and the desk is the perfect size for my laptop and me. We will also use the seat for a changing table once Boomba arrives and so we really did get a bang for our buck.

After agonizing over what kind of fabric to choose for the cushions, and after a whopping three visits to the fabric store, I am happy I settled on a solid turquoise herringbone fabric–also because I knew I was going to want to deck out the seat in lots of fun, patterned throw pillows, and with patterned cushions too I think it may have been overkill. Plus the fabric I *really* wanted was $80 a yard. Yikes. This fabric was a more comfortable $12 :D

The only thing left to do on it is replace the little leather tabs with real drawer pulls. I probably going to use an Anthro gift card I got a while back (thanks Nina!)…which knobs do you think would look best out of these? Or should I mix and match? I like the idea of having a little brassy bling to the drawer facets to accentuate the my thrifted brass desk lamp and table accessories…

Designing a custom piece from my home was really, really fun. And although I had to exercise A LOT of patience–it was well worth it–*way* more gratifying than a big box-store purchase and even more exhilirating than finding the perfect thrifted object at a flea market…now I’m eyeing our 10-year-old bed as my next potential custom design project…

36 Responses to My Custom-Made Window Seat! {After}
  1. Julia Timms says:

Justina, looks amazing!! Personally, the #3 knob is one of my absolute favorites that Anthro ever put out and I think it is funky and fun. I actually bought a bunch and am hoarding them until I find the right project. Beautiful work as always..

2. KB says:

I like options #3 and #7!
    I almost bought those banana leaf pillows from Uncovet yesterday! In fact, I purchased two of them, but I guess by the time I hit “submit order” they were already sold out? I got a refund notification email and I was slightly upset because I think those pillows are so lovely!

3. Andrea says:

Wow! What an amazingly multipurpose and cool use of space. Plus gorg styling as well. Your creativity is always so inspiring!

4. Carlene says:

I love #3, it’s organic quality will offset the square geometry of the drawers. Plus it’s just pretty, and it has the brass and turquoise too.

5. Kate says:

3 is pretty, but 1, 7, or 8 would set it off!

6. mamalooks says:

I think it’s prefect as it is! The leather handles give some roughness in all that awesome prettiness, and they are also (more) child proof. But what do I know, you are design wizard… love your work!

7. chibiwow says:

Omg its so lovely! I can feel comfort in every inch of it. Got my eye on your blog now.

8. Angeline says:

So great! The addition of the desk in the space is a really great idea – (love the little pencil cup) The leather tabs are another favorite detail…Enjoy your (awesome) hard work!

9. DawnB says:

I vote for 1 or 7…1 ties in the chair and 7 just looks great with the mix of turquoise and brass.

10. This looks so cosy and comfy, Justina! Well done! I would go with knob no. 4 – I like its simplicity and patina-like look.

11. lori marie says:

love it! i vote 1 or 7 for the knobs. leaning more towards 1 :)

12. Alice says:

Oh wow, how beautiful is this!! I dream of a window seat like this. And I couldn’t decide on any of those handles… they’re all lovely.

13. Two words: ‘Hello, Pinterest’ (This is straight where this ubver inspiration is heading!)

14. Shawna says:

Totally gorgeous! I don’t know how you are going to chose knobs there are so many beautiful ones. I love number seven.

15. Thank you Justina for linking me! :-) That makes me really happy!
    Have a great day.

xx
    Amanda

16. I love the idea of a mix. #s 1, 3 and 7 look like they might work well together. Otherwise I like #4 on its own.

Everything looks lovely!

17. autumnempire says:

I vote #3 or #7 also.

18. Shauna Nep says:

This is absolutely incredible! I want, I want!!! You should be so proud.

A little cheesy but I love this lyric…

“Now so much I know that things just don’t grow
    If you don’t bless them with your patience”
    -First Aid Kit

xx

19. EmilyKate says:

What a beautiful nook! I just want to crawl into your pictures with a snack and a book.
    Like the poster above I’m in favour of leaving the leather tabs. I’m thinking the little knobs might poke at legs, or catch on a throw… plus with the proportions and color of all the cushions their beautiful detail may get a bit lost. Definitely buy some but save them for use maybe on something that is more at eye level.

20. Anonymous says:

It turned out EXCELLENT!!! I want those cushions! Mix and match most def! I like 3,4,5,7.

21. Love it! You know you want to use my new hardware line on those drawers! Also am finally moving and that rug I keep mentioning is up for grabs.

22. Lauren says:

I am currently attempting a DIY window seat myself and your idea and execution is flawless. I bought #6 knobs for a dresser a while back and recommend against them. 3 of the 6 the glass handle broke off. I have a similar decorating style and never like to be too matchy so I would choose 1,8 or 2. Although I find knob # 3 very beautiful so if you are more inclined to match the color of the cushions go with that.

23. Damon says:

Saved as a favorite, I really like your website!

Feel free to visit my webpage – online marketing web (Damon)

24. […] year. Being open, honest and brave goes a long way in this community. As far as design projects go, I’m really proud of my window seat as it was my first attempt at designing a piece of furniture and I’m thrilled with the […]

25. Nye says:

I am really interested in knowing where you got your cushions from. I want to do a Moroccan inspired living room and this would go a long way to helping me do that.

• Justina Blakeney says:

Most of these cushions were custom made but if you’re looking for Moroccan Cushions I recommend Badia Design in North Hollywood.

26. […] Je crois qu'il faudrait que je vous fasse aussi une sélection de petits coins lectures sous les fenêtres. Le jour où j'aurai une maison, c'est sur je me le construit ! Et pour ça, on peut suivre le tutoriel de Justina Blakeney. […]

27. Miranda says:

Omg I love everything about this — it’s perfect! P.S. Please review the use of the word “alas” :)

28. […] height—the cushion atop your chest can even out the two surfaces. Get the bohemian style seen at The Jungalow by using a solid colored fabric for the cushions, then layering ’til your heart’s […]

29. mega.co.nz says:

E-book readers Since reading is a favorite pastime for most people, these gadgets are in great demand today.

Make sure you keep informed about any and every product you buy for the
    baby because of the fact that you may have looked publications and pamphlets that there are always reminders of unsafe product being advertised because a paper
    is confirmed unsafe for children and infants with what probably can be
    transformed into an article risky for them to manipulate or play, and watch for the new as it is made available and ensure complete your product registration information if needed and snail
    mail it in or submit it on the line to keep in the loop when a callback
    never occurs. If you are fond of writing poetry,
    compose a poem articulating your love for them on a fancy paper and have it
    framed.