13 November 2012

DIY Reversible Ottoman Cover

Remember the ottoman that I got a while back to replace the coffee table with a more kid-friendly option?  Well, as I imagined, the upholstery began to get stained with everything from coffee to spit-up–so I decided to recover it.  Reupholstering it did not make sense–because the reupholstery was bound to get dirty too–so I came up with what I think is a really great solution. I made a reversible, removable ottoman cover from a vintage Kantha quilt.
Kantha quilts are made from Indian Saris and have contrasting colors and patterns on either side–which makes it the the perfect candidate for a reversible cover because it allows me to change up the look of the ottoman when I get tired of one pattern. Also, Kantha quilts are made of cotton and therefor easily washable–the perfect material for my cover.
Here are the basic steps I took to make the cover:
1. I wrapped the top and sides of the ottoman in the quilt as though I was wrapping a gift, and pinned the corners into place.
2. I then sewed the corners up using a whip stitch.
3. Once all four corners were sewn into place, I reversed the quilt so that it was inside out on the ottoman–and the raw edges were facing out. I then cut off the excess fabric flaps of the corners and sides.
4. Next I sewed three ribbons onto each side of the quilt.  I use the ribbons to tie the bottom sides of the quilt together underneath the ottoman.
I’m loving the versatility and the ability to change the pattern up when I want to–so much so, that I’m contemplating making another one! Don’t you love reversible things? It’s like a 2-for-1, and who doesn’t love that?
You can find Kantha throws in my recommended pieces on Luvocracy
photos by J. Blakeney

11 Responses to DIY Reversible Ottoman Cover
  1. Brilliant! And so bright and happy! :)

2. SPYT says:

great job! looks cozy!

3. Love it! Thanks for the diy!

4. catie says:

it’s gorgeous!!
    i love both sides ♥

5. Houndstooth81 says:

Do you have a source reference on the multi-colored diamond rug? I just LOVE that. Thank you

6. Anonymous says:

This is so great. I too had to give up my chic coffee table for a child friendly basic ottoman, which we liked for its function but it had no character. This is exactly what our living room needs!

7. […] Some ottomans and benches come already upholstered in kantha fabric. But if you’re the hands-on type who loves nothing more than a crafternoon, do what one of our favorite bloggers, stylist Justina Blakeney, did and stitch up a slipcover of your own, an especially nice touch alongside a creamy white couch. Check our her blog for the full how-to. […]

8. Brandi says:

the ottoman is amazing but OMG that rug!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Neeta says:

Great looking ottoman and wonderful DIY tip. Thank you!

We make ottomans and pouf covers using recycled vintage dresses, and then add cowrie shells to the designs. You can view them at: