8/8/14Good Vibes Only

'Cause don't nobody got time for all that other BS.

Social media is crazy, and the more eyeballs you get on your stuff, the crazier it gets. Sometimes a perfect stranger is able to put me in a bad mood, make me feel off or question myself, my art or my actions. Yesterday some lady told me to screw myself, called me a supporter of murder and a ‘sick mother’ for posting a picture of taxidermy animals at the Natural History Museum. Β It seriously threw me off, and even though I really didn’t want to think about her or her off-color comment, it sucked time, energy and positivity out of a day I was spending at the museum with my family.

It reminded me that whether online or in person, it’s so important to spread the love, focus on the good and to remember that vibes– both good vibes and bad vibes — are deeply infectious. So I leave you for the weekend with a little reminder to be a proliferator of good-ass vibes, ’cause don’t nobody got time for all that other bull sh&t. :)

Happy Friday!

in

21 responses to “Good Vibes Only”

1. Yeeesh. Opinions are like a**holes, everybody’s got one. If you don’t like something just keep scrolling. Or unfollow. It’s similar to the uproar breastfeeding photos get. I don’t get it. It’s not like you are constantly posting photos of taxidermy. By the way, I read that photo so quickly I thought it said “Be a good Vibrator” Ha! Have a good weekend.

2. Leslie-Anne says:

I think we’ve all “been there”. Breathe deeply and be thankful you don’t have her life.

3. annton says:

BÄÄÄM. *German Comic Language Style. Right on spot. Happy, happy weekend!

4. irene says:

good ass vibes from here to you :) ~together with a swet kiss to Ida…

5. Uncle Beefy says:

Jeesh! And, child, I feel ya! Been there myself and it sucks. I’ll never really understand why there are people who want to spread that kind of negativity but focusing on spreading the good vibes is a great starting point for a remedy.

And, if this helps, suddenly I’m envisioning you dressed as Wonder Woman with all those negativity bullets bouncing right off of your ‘good vibes’ gold bracelets! :)

6. Roza says:

That’s pretty awful, especially given that you were celebrating your kid’s birthday. It’s hard not to let a comment like that get to you, but there is literally nothing one can do to avoid people passing judgement. There is always someone out there who is ready to be offended, so I just try to ignore those people.

Just know that the vast majority of us enjoy following your creativity, your posts, and your pictures. your presence in our social interweb/whatever is wonderful and positive and we value it.

Illegitimi non carborundum :)

7. Maria says:

This could not be a better way to go into the weekend. I will be sure to proliferate some good-ass vibes! :)

8. Erin Sagadin says:

Yes! Let the haters hate, because they obviously have nothing better to do. I love your positive energy and reading your blog makes me happy and inspired! Keep it up, girl! :)

9. Deb says:

You have the MOST fun, positive blog and that’s why I love seeing your posts. And Instagrams, etc. Spreading positive spirit all around. I totally agree feelings can be like an infection or an innoculation. I saw a live stream of the band CHVRCH at Lollapalooza and they were new-to-me so I Googled them and saw how one of their touring rules is “be positive.” Because if someone isn’t, it infects them all and it affects their work. If we care about other people, why would we want to do that to other people!

10. Sarah M. says:

Ha! You’re awesome. Wishing some good-ass vibes to your and yours this weekend.

Also, the fact that this could be “wishing you good ass-vibes” is hilarious. hahaha. I love grammar.

11. Christina says:

RIGHT?!

If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all… duh. I’m sorry that happened to you.

– Christina http://www.cityloveee.blogspot.com

12. Freckleface says:

Yes, i saw that on instagram. That lady’s comments were unfair, you are clearly a great mum. Good vibes are good! Keep up the good work, the generosity of spirit and the little bit of brightness you bring to all our lives.

13. Melissa says:

That is so true Justina. I cannot believe people post horrible comments or insult others online the way they do. Thanks for reminding us to spread good vibes cause I get caught being a “downer” at home a lot.

14. Sylvia says:

Amen! It’s like I always say, you don’t have to R.S.V.P. to every invitation to an argument that you receive. Keep stepping on and up and over!

15. Elizabeth says:

Love the photo for this post. Great antidote. It’d be a great poster. :)

16. Stacey R. says:

Justina! I have a former student who would LOVE to have this made into a poster for her college dorm. Is this something you do or can I purchase the image from you to make into a print?

Thank you!