6/1/15Patterned, Printed and Placed!

Pillows by Justina Blakeney, made with Shutterfly
I love all kinds of design and art, but for me, there is nothing quite like designing tangible items that people (myself included) can bring homes to use, enjoy and love. I get a little rush of excitement when I see my ideas come to life–It’s like magic!  You may remember a few months back I made a repeating pattern tutorial that demonstrates how to make a pattern from little sketches and doodles.

Now, I have taken my doodles one step further and made pillows, woven blankets and even plates–and it’s way more simple than I could have ever imagined, I just uploaded a jpg to Shutterfly and that was it. It’s bananas. Boom. Boom Boom. All of the sudden I have a mini home collection.

Plates by Justina Blakeney, made with Shutterfly I’ve always wanted plates with my artwork on them. I even tried to paint some thrifted plates with porcelain paint a couple of years back, but the paint quickly chipped off like a cheap manicure …But not these! These plates are super legit! They remind me of something right out of a fancy shmancy boutique.  Seriously this process was so effortless and fun that I want to print my whole house with pattern on pattern on pattern. The possibilities are quite endless.

Pillows by Justina Blakeney, made with Shutterfly

This also gets my brain churning for other ideas…like making pillows from Ida’s artwork or making #FaceTheFoliage plates.

by Justina Blakeney, made with Shutterfly
Let me talk about this woven blanket for a minute (yes I’m using it like a rug here because I’m crazy like that). But I mean… what the what? How did they make this thing? It’s amazing! And cozy! And it has my watercolor woven into it. Mind blown. I think it works well as a blanket, but could also make a fun tapestry to hang on the wall, like behind a sofa or bed.

Pillows by Justina Blakeney, made with Shutterfly Whether it’s for a gift, a fun way to spruce up your pad, or simply because you want to see what your doodles look like woven into a blanket, this whole Shutterfly home-decor situation is the bomb.

Pillows by Justina Blakeney, made with Shutterfly

And now all I want to do is make like 100 more decor items using my other patterns :D

Designs, Styling & Photography by J. Blakeney
This post is sponsored by Shutterfly. Awaken your space with your vision. Shop Shutterfly Home Décor for personalized home accents that are uniquely you.

25 responses to “Patterned, Printed and Placed!”

1. Catherine says:

This is hands-down the coolest thing ever! I had no idea you could do anything more than print photos, calendars etc. with Shutterfly. Thanks for the tip!

Your prints are gorgeous – I hope you do end up doing a line :)

• Justina Blakeney says:

Thanks so much! Yes when I saw that you could make everything from blankets to plates I was amazed!!

2. Peter says:

Wow this is really cool – the patterns sort of remind me of art from that children’s book “Where the Wild Things Are” :)

3. Mind blown! This is amazing!!!! xx

• Justina Blakeney says:

Thanks homegirl!! You should totally try it out it’s SUPER fun to see the patterns coming to life!

4. Mind blowing isn’t it to see your designs in print? Love it! I use Spoonflower and Zazzle but how cool to discover Shutterfly does it to, now we can all be indie designers! And YES to Face the Foliage plates!
    xo ~ Kate

• Justina says:

ooo thanks mama! I haven’t tries Spoonflower yet but I’ve been tempted my their wallpaper on more than one occasion–you should try your patterns on the Shutterfly Acrylic tray. That’s my next purchase. ;)

5. Gosia says:

O wow it looks amazing, totally crazy! Such a great idea, and your pattern is so cool!

6. Kiran says:

Love the pattern!
    Your blog is such a visual delight! You are a true inspiration.

7. Jeanetta says:

Looks amazing, Justina! I LOVE how your pattern looks on product. That throw blanket is bananas. I license my art for manufacturers to put on their products. It so much fun to see your work come to life and see people enjoy it. We should chat!

8. LOVE IT ALL!!! And while it inspires me to make my own, it also inspires in me a yearning for yours :) Hope you do a home line – those plates are dreamy.

9. Samantha says:

Coolest digital print project ever.

10. […] WANT – Cannot get over the prettiness of these plates […]

11. […] Patterns and Prints, definitely using this in my new […]

12. miranda says:

whoa, that’s amazzzzzzzzzing! esp. the plates!!!!!!!!! i love that!!!

13. Anna says:

You MUST do a home collection that we can all purchase! These all look so amazing!

14. RH says:

SO GORGEOUS! But the links to the plate/pillow/throw blankets don’t seem to be working anymore :(

15. […] | plates | cake topper | soap | elbow […]