8/24/15Boho Kitchen Bonanaza pt. 1

Justina Blakeney's Jungalow Kitchen

Our kitchen remodel is done! It’s been such a crazy and fun learning experience for me. This was the first kitchen I’ve even designed from scratch and now that I’m on the other end I can’t wait to share with you all that I’ve learned. I’m sitting in my little home office (technically our dining room) as I type this and the kitchen is just to my right. I can turn my head and see the cement tile flooring, the reclaimed wooden open shelving, the copper accents and I just can’t stop smiling. The kitchen surpassed all of my expectations in function and form. Being in it, cooking in it, and even just staring at it makes me unreasonably happy.

I’m excited to spend this whole week sharing the whole process of the kitchen remodel with you guys. I took so many photos and learned so much along the way, that instead of doing one stupid long post and trying to cram everything into to one big-ass reveal, I thought I’d parse it out in more bite-sized pieces. So this whole week on the blog will be dedicated to bohemian kitchens, our bohemian kitchen and the remodel so that you all may share in on the process, from inspiration to budgeting, planning, layout, accessorizing. I am basically creating the posts that I would have like to have read before embarking on this mission myself. So here goes. Today I’m gonna talk about budgeting and layout.

Before I get too deep into discussing budgeting, however, I’d like to put a few things out there. Being a design blogger definitely has its perks–and having the opportunity to work with brands and get free stuff is pretty high up on that perk list. Before embarking on this remodel, I approached some of my favorite brands to help out…and some of them actually said yes.  (I LOVE YOU LOWE’S!!) Sooo, our overall budget for the remodel was 32K but had we not received the sponsored goods, the actual cost would have been closer to 42K. (no joke!!) When discussing budgeting and costs over the course of the week, I will use the actual costs, so that things don’t seem cheaper than they actually were, and anything that I got a sponsored will be clearly marked as such. So now that we got that outta the way, let’s talk about mah GORGEOUS kitchen!

Here’s the before:

DENBY3

DENBY2

denby-kitchen3

The kitchen was a very small galley kitchen with laminate flooring, faux pretty much everything, that brown tile (oy), and, the worst part, a ‘laundry room’ right in the middle of the space.  From the second we saw this house and decided to put in an offer, we knew that the laundry room situation had to be the first to go.

What I didn’t know was how much that would cost. You see those pipes going up the wall? Yeah, I had a feeling that was bad news. It wasn’t just a wall we wanted to knock down, but a wall with gas, power and water lines. Yeeks. I also knew that this kitchen project was way above my pay grade so we decided to hire a contractor to guide us through the process. Meet Golan.

golan

We met Golan last year. I was being crazy and I interviewed a handful of contractors to see about knocking down a wall in my rental kitchen. I even wrote a blog post about it here. Of the four contractors that we met with, instead of giving us a bid to redo our rental, Golan looked us in the eye and said. “Don’t do this. Don’t spend your hard-earned money on a rental. Buy a place, It doesn’t matter how small. Just buy a place and when you do, call me.” Six months later he got the call.

I had done a bit of research and had read that a total kitchen remodel should cost between 5%-15% of the home’s total value. We bought our home for $587,000 (read about it here) so according to that figure our total kitchen remodel should cost around $58,000. YIKES. We definitely couldn’t afford that, so we met with Golan and made a plan that we could afford.

Here was the plan:
kitchen-rendering5    kitchen-rendering

So apparently there is some kind of golden triangle when it comes to kitchen design–you can read about it here but the gist is that there should be a ‘work triangle’ between the sink, the refrigerator and the stove to create a kitchen that functions well. This layout fit that concept perfectly. So here were our ideas:

-The open shelving up top would save us money on cabinets–which are pricey (plus we love the look).
-We’d keep the sink on the back wall so that we didn’t have to move the water lines.
-We’d demo the laundry room, currently in the center of the space, and move the washer and dryer to the garage.
-We’d create a pony wall and make a breakfast bar on the peninsula between the kitchen and the living room.
-We’d move the refrigerator from the corner near the living room to the side and put the range in the peninsula, and add in a Kitchen Work Triangle.
-We’d add a window on the wall above the sink (window not pictured because we added that on later).

He quoted us 28K for the whole project and said unless we added extra stuff on, the price would stay there. (This also included some electrical work and refinishing floors in the living room, den and dining room). We were to provide the tile, the wood, the countertops and the appliances. His team would take care of the rest. We salvaged the existing dishwasher and sold the other appliances, and the very next day our kitchen looked like this:

kitchen-before

It was exhilarating and pretty nerve wracking too. Then here we were a few days after that, when the wall dividing the living room and the kitchen came down. I was REALLY glad we weren’t living here yet while all of this was going down.

PONY-WALL

And then once the whole space was empty, we could start the fun part…putting it all back together… Which we will discuss more mañana :D
Please let me know if you have any questions!! Also, all week on the Jungalow Instagram we will be gramming boho kitchens and kitchen insp so be sure to follow along and tag your own jungalicious kitchens with #JungalowStyle for a chance to be featured.

Sources:
To get everything you could possibly need for your kitchen remodel, go to Lowe’s.
For tiles, accessories, and everything else we used, check out this post.
To get a quote from Golan about your remodel project email him (azrangolan (at) gmail (dot) com) please tell him I sent you.

Top Photo by Danae Horst for the Jungalow
#JungalowByTheRiver kitchen remodel created in partnership with Lowe’s

40 responses to “Boho Kitchen Bonanaza pt. 1”

1. Melanie says:

Doesn’t even look like the same kitchen! It’s beautiful. Copper Power!

xo,

Melanie

2. It looks incredible!! I love how vibrant and watery that gorgeous tile is! I am so excited to finally see all of your hard work!

• Justina Blakeney says:

Thanks Caitlin! We were so nervous about the tile. It looked SO dark–we had so many moments when we wanted to exchanges it–but in the end we are SO happy with how it turned out. :)

3. aprilneverends says:

a) The kitchen looks incredible! So warm, and so very you. Enjoy every moment in it. Or just looking at it.
    b) Love your writing. Very detailed, honest, informative..overall, I’m so freaking tired from our own remodel, that the fact I am physically able to read about yours, not look through but actually read, AND enjoy the writing, speaks for itself))
    c) Golan sounds like a great guy.

4. Danae says:

Your kitchen turned out so beautifully! I know it was a pain, and spendy, but it’s so worth it!

5. KB says:

I have been waiting for this!! That tile is just gorgeous.

6. erin says:

I’ve been following your remodel on instagram- I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate these honest numbers you gave us! There’s nothing that bugs me more than seeing complete remodels when the homeowner doesn’t give details about the actual project cost. Also- I loved seeing the numbers in comparison to the cost of the house…..so thank you for that!

This project turned out so so great- I love that you trusted your gut and went with green! Definitely not a color we see much of in kitchen design. Can’t wait for the followup posts- this is all really amazing! Nice work- so incredibly swoon worthy.

7. Susie says:

I’ve been anxiously waiting for this post, and boy! it was worth the wait.

The whole process of your buying a house and now decorating it is and then SHARING the experience is beyond amazing.

I’ve mentioned this on your IG thread, but could you please show a layout of Jungalow by the River? For those of us living small, it would really help!

Cheers!

8. I love your story of how you knew he was the right vendor. Those amazing vendors that speak candidly with you are so freaking helpful. The only such person I’ve found is my electrician, but I am NEVER letting him go.

9. Jen says:

LOVE the green backsplash tile! Could you give us more detail on the type of tile and color choice? Lovely lovely kitchen, congrats!

10. The end result is amazing. You’re making me consider coloured tiles for my walls now instead of the white metro ones ive picked out…im in the middle of a kitchne reno – its hellish! Dust, no water, building regulations. If mine looks anywhere half way as lovely as yours i’ll be chuffed to bits. How you managed to cope with cats and kids i dont know! Love your blog – its really inspiring and different.
    Maxine

11. Hanna Garth says:

Thanks to the FB post I just got caught up on your job and your life. This looks so amazing, so much fun. Thank you Golan for convincing you guys to buy!!!

12. george says:

So happy to be catching up on this reading!! Has it been tomorrow already?
    Off to check the rest of the saved mail!

13. DABITO says:

I’m so kitchenvy! I want Moroccan tile floors and a farmhouse sink and everything!

14. shanley says:

justina! this house used to keep me up at night because it is so dreamy and cute and i remember finding out that YOU were the one who bought it (working with you at the yeah! furniture pop up!) and feeling so excited to see how you would transform it. the kitchen is sooooo perfect! great work :)

15. Lailee says:

love your kitchen! Can you tell me where you sourced the shelf brackets? They are very interesting.

16. […] / Apartment Therapy / Bright, Bold & Beautiful / Architectural Digest Russia / Binti Home / The Jungalow / Design Sponge / The Design Sheppard / HGTV / Apartment […]

17. Sammy says:

I really like the green tile backsplash, I came across these I think they are are some nice kitchen tile backsplash at tilemarkets, you gotta check them out. I think it makes the space looks flashy and would be interesting to work in that area.

18. […] know that we bought our fist home last year, we completely gutted the kitchen and did a full kitchen renovation, and now we’re working on the master bedroom and bathroom. Many people are surprised to […]

19. C. Johnson says:

Can’t find a link to the info for the tile.

20. Hugo says:

Hi, gréât résult, I suppose you envoyé il a lot.
    M’y wifés trying to find the same green tile backsplash. Would you give us Nay help to find it anywhere ? (Reference, shop, …)?

Tank you !
    Hugo

21. […] of our boho kitchen. Also you can see before pics and read about the design process of our kitchen here. Read about the […]

22. Hannah Larsen says:

Omg this is my dream kitchen!
    When i saw this i was like, i`m going to by a house and I’m going to get the kitchen! Love this.

23. Alisha says:

Justina.. really Hats off ! Your kitchen looking so amazing. It turned out to be a perfect dream kitchen!

24. […] konyháról több posztot is találtok a The Jungalow blogot. Képek innen és […]

25. Wow! Love what you’ve done with it – looks amazing.

26. lily says:

Just check out the new varieties of marble and tiles… they looking perfect for the kitchen and bathroom !!

27. krishtina says:

Beautiful kitchen designing ideas.. green tiles for kitchen tiles like this post very much.

28. krishtina says:

Beautiful kitchen designing ideas.like this post very much.

29. Emily says:

it is amazing I like this kitchen I want also like that

30. olivia says:

hi this blog is so beautiful and the kitchen is amazing patterns

31. jenny says:

this blog is relly have bonanza article its really good.