2/23/16Choosing Grout Colors For Tiles

Justina-Blakeney_Jungalow-kitchen-lr-25

When designing our kitchen, we spent weeks (months?) deciding on backsplash and floor tiles. It had, after all, been my dream forever to buy a home a cover it in colorful tile. But when the tile installer came and asked us what color grout we wanted, I realized we hadn’t thought about that at all.  And guess what?? It actually totally changes the look and feel of the tile itself and of the space as a whole. We ended up picking a dark green grout color that matched the tile. We didn’t want to outline each brick in a contrasting color like white–that would have made the backsplash look much more busy. Also, since these tiles are handmade, the darker grout helped to hide any cracks or chips in any of the tiles, where as the white grout would have accentuated the differences between each tile.

emily-katz-bathroom
Here in the home of Emily Katz and Adam Porterfield (an outtake shot Form The New Bohemians) simple white circle tiles on the floor and walls are used with a contrasting black grout, creating a striking graphic motif. It’s a way to get a strong looking pattern without actually using patterned tile. Imagine how different this bathroom would look if they had used white grout!

erica-tanov-bath

Here, in Erica Tanov’s bathroom, (another outtake from the book) they chose a square mosaic tile in a soft gray and used white grout, creating a softer and more subtle pattern.

stellas-kitchen

In Stella Alberti’s kitchen — two grout colors were used — a white grout color for the walls, and a blue grout on the counters.

terracottagrout

A few weeks ago, while on a family expedition to the Autry Museum, I notices this blue tile (which is a similar hue to the tile color we’ve chosen for our master bathroom remodel) and the grout color was terra cotta. I was sold. This week our master bath tile will be installed with this earthy grout color, and I can’t wait to see how it translates in the bathroom.

TruColor_colors_H_series
So if you’re tiling in your home, while choosing tiles I recommend simultaneously choosing grout colors (image via Installer Store). As you can see, the grout color choice can profoundly affect the overall look and feel of the space. If you need help deciding, check out this Grout Selector Tool I came across via this post on Apartment Therapy (great post to read it if you’re choosing grout). Stay tuned for more updates on my home remodel on my Periscope channel.

Photo Outtakes From The New Bohemians are by Dabito.

17 responses to “Choosing Grout Colors For Tiles”

1. jen says:

Great post! I did a green tile backsplash in my kitchen and used white grout, and immediately after I put it in thought, damn, I should’ve used green! Ah well. It’s grown on me over time. :) I loooooove your kitchen and Emily Katz’ bathroom. I have a bathroom redo coming up and her bathroom has inspired me big time.

• Justina Blakeney says:

Ahh yay thanks yeah it’s totally one of those things that can be an afterthought but has a pretty dramatic affect on the space. I love Emily’s bathroom too. I was just in awe of how pretty it was the whole time we were shooting in there!

2. Danae Horst says:

I feel like between choosing the tile and the grout, it might take me a year to decide! I do love the contrasting colors though and I’m excited to see how your bathroom tile turns out!!

3. Rashleen says:

Hi, Must say a very beautiful and colorful Kitchen. I can see your love for botanicals but wonder how you maintain them especially indoors. Isn’t it very tough? Please suggest something on how to take care of these plants.

4. Debra says:

And whatever color you choose, seal the grout after it cures! Keeping grout clean can be a nightmare otherwise.
    I put choosing grout color right up there with choosing the color of roof shingles. Not something you give much thought to but it can make a huge difference if you’re not happy with the outcome.
    Great post, Justina!

5. George says:

Here Here! Grout color, tile placement – both hugely important factors. For those choosing contrast grout color- you need to have a really competent Tiler too. Tiling is like icing the cake!

6. Larissa says:

Hey, I love the grout selector tool. Thank you! I used all over the same color as the tile, maybe a little lighter. That was a good one: Tiling is like icing the cake! :)

7. taryn says:

What is the exact green tile and grout that you used in the kitchen? It looks really good!

• Justina Blakeney says:

Sorry I can’t remember the exact color. We just picked the one that was closest to the color of the tile. Good luck!

8. Make sure that when you are choosing grout, you can get coordinating caulk. And while we are talking grout, Laticrete has a new product that can match any Benjamin Moore paint. That’s right… you just need your paint fan to make a great selection. I was enamored with this at a recent tradeshow and wanted to share!

9. Sve says:

Hi! I love tils colour of your kitchen, could you help me to find those tils provider and identify the colour? Many thanks!

10. Jan says:

Hi!
    I put green handmade tiles in my entry and wanted to use green grout but now we’ve discovered that they have discontinued all of the green grout colors from the company we were going to use and can’t find any other store in town that has green grout. Can you suggest a company that makes green grout?

Thank you!
    Jan

11. Sadia says:

Hi I am using Artigiano AR 94 Tremiti sand what grout should I use thanks

12. hello. I have been looking for Jade green backsplash tile for ever!! where did you buy it?