2/15/17Plant-o-Pedia: Swiss Cheese Vine

Plantopedia-Monstera-Obliqua-1

Monsteras have certainly had a moment over the last few years- and deservedly so, a plant that makes a graphic statement all on its own is hard to resist! It’s vine-ier cousin, the Monstera obliqua, or Swiss Cheese Vine, however has really grabbed our attention now. More delicate than the larger ‘Split Leaf’ Monstera, the Swiss Cheese Vine doesn’t need quite as much light, and can be trained to climb pretty much anywhere- perfect if you’re short on floor space, but want a little plant drama in a room. Its leaves are a bit tender, and it is a bit particular about water, so we wouldn’t call it an easy-care plant, but once you get the hang of keeping it happy, the pay off in showy vines is worth the effort.

Plantopedia-Monstera-Obliqua-2

GET THE GREEN: Swiss Cheese Vine (Monstera obliqua, Monstera adansonii)

WATER: Water regularly, keeping the soil moist, but not soggy. Depending on how much light it receives, temperatures, size, etc, once a week is usually a good rhythm. Yellowing leaves may indicate overwatering, or poor drainage- a pot with a drainage hole is best. Pay extra attention to humidity in the winter if you have heat running regularly- a humidifier will help.

SUNLIGHT: Bright to medium indirect light. Avoid direct sun.

PLACEMENT: This plant is a great ‘spiller’ and looks best in a hanging planter or on a shelf where there’s room for the vines to wander. If vines get too straggly looking, regular trimming will help encourage new growth.

EXTRA CREDIT: Swiss Cheese Vine can be fairly easy to propagate by taking a cutting that includes at least 2 leaf nodes (little dark knobby looking thing on the vines), and allowing to root in either water, or just sticking directly into potting soil.  If you have trouble finding this plant, try joining a plant group either locally or online- most members are happy to trade cuttings and it’s an easy way to try out new-to-you plants, and share your favorites too!

WORD OF CAUTION: According to the ASPCA Monsteras are toxic to most animals if consumed. Use caution or consult your vet whenever bringing new plants into a home with pets.

Have a houseplant you’d like to learn more about? Leave a comment and you might see it in a future Plant-o-Pedia post!

Photography: Danae Horst for The Jungalow

Danae Horst Danae Horst

Total plant geek. Photographer & stylist. Editorial director at The Jungalow. Check out my new botanical pop-up shop and design firm, Folia Collective.

17 responses to “Plant-o-Pedia: Swiss Cheese Vine”

1. Zoe says:

Danae, do you have any recommendations on a plant group in Seattle? I have this vague sense that maybe you are from Seattle originally! I’ve been looking for one of these for a long time!

• Danae Horst says:

Hi Zoe! I did live in Seattle for 10 years, before coming to LA- good sense! You know, I didn’t have one when I lived there, but try looking on FB- a lot of the plant clubs use FB for their home bases. Also- attending plant sales can be a great way to network with other ‘citizen botanists’. The Volunteer Park Conservatory holds a few a year, as does UW, and I think the Arboretum. Hope that helps!

2. Suma says:

So glad to read this post with helpful tips. I have been looking for this plant for a long time (in Houston), but have not found any luck yet!

• Danae Horst says:

If you can’t find one locally, you can also often find plant starts for sale on Ebay or Etsy- having a plant mailed to you might sound weird, but it’s a great way to get your hands on species not common to your area! :)

3. Emily says:

I love this segment. Always a must read and it makes me want to run out and buy new plants! Future suggestion: pitcher plant

• Danae Horst says:

Ooh- good one, Emily! My husband and I have recently jumped into carnivorous plants with a Venus Fly Trap, but haven’t gotten a pitcher plant yet. Maybe we’ll have to invite a ‘guest’ with Pitcher Plant tips!

4. Kristy says:

Yay, I was just looking at my one with only two very long vines and thinking about wether I could trim and replant to make it look fuller. Thanks so much

• Danae Horst says:

Trimming can feel scary, but it really is a great way to fill a plant out! I have once that’s gotten WAY too long and am about to give it a big haircut this weekend! :)

5. Stephanie Newton says:

Finally someone tells me how to trim my plant! Ive been looking all over the web on whether i could trim it or not and found no response! Thank you so much….now for a much needed trim to my baby! 😊

• Hannah says:

Would you share your cuttings with me?

• Danae Horst says:

Glad it was helpful! If pruning aroids is new for you, just be careful not to cut off aerial roots, and always prune below leaf nodes, not right at them. If you want to propagate your cuttings, new growth tip cuttings often root more quickly, just ensure there are a few nodes still intact. :)

6. Brittany T. goddess says:

Love this! I’d like to know more about Echeverias and how to keep a Hyacinth alive!

7. […] on a plant mission. That is I’m on a mission to put plants in our house that (a.) we aren’t […]

8. M says:

a post on jungalow favorite, pet safe plants would be great!!

Great blog – I really like the plant o pedia posts.

9. […] Sources:1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 […]